Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I was trapped...

...behind a long line of traffic that extended down the single lane behind me, disappearing over the false horizon in my mirrors. In front of me was a shitty white Datsun. The Datsun sounded like a children’s brass band. The side mirrors were cracked. The exhaust spat at me. The taillights were illegible. Strapped to a warped ski rack on top of the Datsun was a slab of inch-thick plywood. On top of the plywood was the severed head of the biggest bull elk I had ever seen. The ragged edges of the bull’s neck were flayed out around the head. The board had blackened from the blood, as though the veins had once pumped old motor oil. The glassed eyes were looking straight up to the sky. The tongue flagged out of the mouth to the side. I imagined that it would have been flapping, but it had stiffened beyond motion. From behind, it looked like the carcass of a primeval spider—the legish antlers extended skyward. The wapiti was strapped onto the roof of the Datsun with nylon cording strung from the uppermost antler point to the lowest and then hitched onto the rack. There it was, the Datsun’s aegis to the cold sun, a blood trophy and mascot, the wagon load of spoils, a hirsute and huge John the Baptist. Without the wind, a host of blue black gunmetal flies would congregate inside it to lay their eggs for the other heads of other creatures one step beyond. All the years eating water cress from the bottom of Beaver Creek, and the battles of antlers and frost, and the thin years and winter months when no Chinook found his harem. The rut and the gravity in the groin—the slicing bugle that could cut ice like a blowtorch. He had survived. So many years of knowing the Targhee better than God himself, and the final ride down a 2 lane state highway atop a sputtering, shitty Japanese compact driven by a man dressed like leaves.

10 comments:

Jaren Watson said...

There is a legitimate problem with writing something this beautiful. There is nothing to say. Joe, to borrow a phrase from God, it IS good.

ibid said...

great palindrome at the bottom there.

I concur with Stubb. What to say?

James Best said...

The turn or "volta" as it is called in poetics when the head is seen as John the Baptist is stunning. It gives the bull a singular majesty and identity above just any animal. It makes the shame of this more profound.

In fact, it informs the John the Baptist story and makes me realize that no matter what precious metal the plate was made of that his head arrived on, it was dross and refuse compared to the value of the being upon.

That to me is the beauty of the piece. The shitty Datsun is moreso for its contrasting cargo.

Lovely piece, Yo-sephora.

Emily G said...

"children's brass band" was tough for me to swallow, and "spat" came too early, but "illegible," "slab," "flayed," "glassed," and "flagged" were painful and perfect. The rest of it is amazing, Joe. The gunmetal flies bit hurt to read, and made me miss hearing the things you talk about when you drive. "Without the wind" is a perfect preface to it.

I think my favorite shift, though, is that next bit when you turn it to the lost life of the elk...the water cress at Beaver Creek, the frost, "all the years" "thin years" "winter months"....this was the part I wanted to read the most. It's poignant. "rut and gravity in the groin--the slicing bugle that could cut ice like a blowtorch" is your best sentence, in my opinion. I could feel that one. But "He had survived" wasn't my favorite.

"man dressed like leaves" and the return of "shitty" you have to keep.

Joe, I love this blog; James, thanks for making him start it. This is fine stuff...finer than any of the half-assed drafts I read in my grad workshops. Unrelated note...there was much elk on the trail this week...don't you think the cry of elk sounds eerily like creaky swingsets or those ribbed crazy straws from when we were kids? Just a little bit?

Emily G said...

Also, Joe, I can't help but notice that the best thing this group has done so far is love your piece. Do you want a more critical eye? If so, how should we do this? Would it be lame/aggravating for you to give us hints about what you're nervous about or unsure of in your piece? Maybe then you'd get more of a discussion for revision since we all know you're damn good and none of us wants to be the jerk who acts like he's blind to said damnable goodness. Does this make sense? Is this a poor idea?

Grifter said...

Em. I am so glad you're here. Thanks for reading this and for kicking back thoughts.

As for criticism and critique, here are my thoughts: I can personally only try to comment on objective errors of mechanics, usage, and punctuation. I don't feel right in saying something like "You should have used this word or that idea," simply because I have come to realize how subjective these things are. For example, I don't want to try to Griffinize a Best poem (which would undoubtedly adulterate the whole thing). In matters of the subjective, I am going to steer wide. Of course, anyone can, at any time, make subjective comments about what I write, but I am of the mind that if I wrote it as I did at the time, then there is significance to what it is.

Does this make any sense? I don't care so much about the "I like this" or "I don't like this because..", what I do care about is: is this technically sound? Is it parrallel? Are the modifiers well placed? etc etc, insomuch as creative writing can be objectively analyzed. I am not making myself clear, I know. Bottom line for me: I do appreciate stark honesty with respect to what I write, but I am not aiming to be poet laureate of anything other than my bathroom, and I might just shrug any subjective analysis off as immaterial.

this is a VERY bald and inadequate interpretation of what I mean to say...and there are avenues for further expounding that I won't take the time with right now. Oh hell...is it lunch yet?

Emily G said...

Hahaha, no worries, I totally know where you're coming from. I have been in too many horrid Utah State workshops that have hampered my whole approach to other people's writing.......... In other words, please excuse the parts of my comment that exemplify exactly what you don't like, and bold the parts that you do appreciate haha...heh. But seriously, Joe, it's great stuff. Thanks inviting me in.

Grifter said...

BT: I didn't want to come off with the attitude of card-stacking or "how can you tell me how to write?"

Is that what you got from me? If so, sorry.

Emily G said...

Not at all, Grif, seriously not at all. No apology necessary....apologies on my part if you felt card-stacking-accused. We all know you taught me everything I know anyway. *curtsy bow handshake*

Grifter said...

so unfounded, so untrue (that last thing you said).

so cool to have emily back in blogburg.